Thursday, November 17, 2011

Win Win


Anyone who knows me well, knows how much I love a bargain. But there's one thing I love more than a bargain, and that's a win. I don't mean the lottery because the probability of winning big time there is pretty slim so I don't even bother. But the thought of winning a little something, is like receiving a present when it's not your birthday.

I should say, that apart from a pair of gorgeous earrings won a few years back, I'm not much of a winner. But my luck changed a couple of days ago when I got a phone call to say that I'd won a prize from Dish magazine – two bottles of wine and a cast iron skillet. It may not be Le Creuset but I'm happy with my pan, and the Hawke's Bay wine will go down nicely, thank you very much!


Today, when this Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard, then the fridge and finally the freezer, she breathed a sigh of relief when she found some steak and sausages. It was actually a double bonus as it meant I got the chance to try out my new skillet. Very impressive indeed – using the skillet was just like barbecuing in the kitchen, a mean just look at these brown little babies.


Of course, this Mother Hubbard is a sweet ol' thing, so even though I may not always have the stuff to make a hearty meal, I usually have the essential bits and pieces to put something nice together for dessert. We all lucked in tonight with delicious pavlova topped with Aussie mangoes and NZ strawberries. I figure if I can pay $1 for avocados, and $2 for a capsicum, I can certainly pay $3 for an Aussie mango.

2 comments:

  1. shhhh don't let SOTH hear about this win or she will be claiming it was meant to be hers xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! But armed with my new skillet, I think I can fight her off.

    ReplyDelete