Thursday, June 16, 2011

Whitianga


I'd been wanting to go to Whitianga for some time although I had no real expectations – it just seemed like a place worth visiting. It turned out to be much nicer than I expected with lots of interesting things to see and do, and very pretty too.

This is what we did:

On Saturday we took a short drive north and managed to find the unsigned spot where you leave your car and walk to New Chums Beach. It's about a 10 minute walk over rocks which is more like a 15 minute walk with kids, but well worth it.



We also went to Hot Water Beach. A beach with hot water? – now that's my kind of thing. We pulled up at the car park, read the sign and starting walking. I was wondering how we would know where the actual hot spot was. Then when I looked down the beach I had to laugh as it was quite obvious given the large crowd of people. It's quite a funny thing – all these strangers sitting in close proximity to each other, borrowing digging implements, vying for a bit of hot water. All the rules about personal space went out with the tide!




On Sunday morning we took a ferry over to Flaxmill Bay – a gorgeous white sand beach overlooking the magical bay. It's just as good as the Bay of Islands in my opinion.


We walked up the headland for a great view.


On our way back to the ferry we found a tree swing – who could resist?!




We didn't get a chance to see Cathedral Cove on this visit but that just gives an excuse to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment