Friday, March 29, 2013

It's a good Friday

Today I have been pottering around the house. The kids have been watching a bit of TV. I was surprised to learn that no advertising is allowed in NZ on Good Friday, Easter Sunday or Christmas Day. I don't know why I hadn't noticed before but it surely makes watching a movie on tele far more enjoyable. I like the idea of things being closed – since when did we need everything open 42/7?

I finally got around to making something which I've been thinking about for some time – a driftwood wall hanging. I got the idea from a pic I saw in Country Style magazine a loooong time ago (see pic below). I've had this magazine folded open at this page forever!


Even though I've got quite a collection of driftwood, I thought I'd start by making a mini-hanging before embarking on a bigger feature. Below is a "how-to" in pictures. I got the black string from a Trade Aid store; it's quite rustic.




I'm quite pleased with the results. I hope it doesn't look too amateurish but I quite like its imperfections. I need to find the right spot for it too. I haven't decided whether to trim the tails What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. love it - think I'd keep the strings long and uneven to maintain the whole rustic feel ...... I had plans to turn the driftwood we had collected into a rustic xmas tree but don't think customs will be impressed if I try to bring it back to Oz xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be surprised, you could try as long as you declare it. Although you may not feel like banging together a Xmas tree in April?

    ReplyDelete