Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lighten up


The kids went back to school yesterday [ahhh!]. They were pretty keen too I might add, but I know that will probably wear off.

It's also the beginning of a new month and with all the festivities, holidays and sleep-ins over, I have declared February a dry month for me. Yes, I know I've said that before but that was not my idea last time – I was just trying to go along with it. And to be honest, even with all the allowances bestowed on me, I never really got back on the horse after my 40th. In hindsight I have to say, although I appreciate SOTH's motivation at the time, I don't think a challenge of that magnitude is ever going work at a time when festivities are just gaining momentum.

It was also back to swim squad yesterday. I think Simon, our coach, was a bit surprised to see me. In fact, I think most people in general are surprised that I have maintained my enthusiasm for swimming but I don't want to paint the wrong picture – I swim in a squad for one hour each week. It's not like I'm training to swim the English Channel.

Continuing with the "starting on the right foot" theme, I also made a batch of crunchy granola. It comes from the Lighten Up cook book by Jill Dupleix, and adds a bit of interest to Corn Flakes or Special K, or on top of fruit salad and yoghurt.

Crunchy Granola
400g rolled oats
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp pepitas
2 tbsp linseed or LSA mix
100g almonds
100g dried shredded coconut
pinch of sea salt
4 tbsp honey or maple syrup
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g dried cranberries
100g dried sultanas

LINE two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
HEAT the oven to 150°C.
TOSS the oats, seeds, nuts, coconut and sea salt together in a large bowl.
WARM the honey, olive oil and cinnamon in a pan, stirring, until just melted.
POUR the liquid over the dry ingredients, tossing well.
SPREAD evenly on the trays.
BAKE for 20 to 30 minutes, shuffling everything around once or twice to prevent sticking or burning
REMOVE from the oven and cool.
b the dried fruits.
STORE in an airtight container for up to a month (it won't last that long!).

2 comments:

  1. much friendlier health advice than Hulme's .......Hope all the family in North Queensland are safe and well xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day 4 and going well. Not sure if I'll make it through the weekend without a glass of wine though :|

    All safe up north but I think the story would be very different if it crossed the coast closer to Townsville.

    ReplyDelete