Sunday, October 17, 2010

Nothing new for a month


I've only just discovered the Nothing new for a month challenge and we're already half way through October so it seems a bit silly to sign up now. But it is a good way to get you thinking about where, and most importantly, why we buy things. Do you really have to have that new blouse just because it's 20% off? Do we really want to fill our lives, wardrobes, and houses with shiny new "stuff".

If we were to take up the challenge I have no doubt some of us would find it easier than others. Anyway, I've already started my Christmas shopping so I'm already disqualified. Maybe we could do it in February, when Christmas is done and dusted and everyone is suffering from post-sales exhaustion.

My latest op shop purchase is the picture above – an original, of course. I can hear you laughing at me, but art should be about what you love, right? And there was something about this "still life" that compelled me to buy it. No, I didn't have to have it, but now that I do, I think it would look better in a different frame.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mara - love the still life. I might take up the challenge in Feb too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good to hear from you Karen! Yes, I was thinking of you and Sarah when referencing the post-Christmas sales. Did you get a blogging lesson?

    ReplyDelete